Rain – Localized Flooding

Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning with 10 to 15 mm expected today…another 5mm tonight and 5 to 10 mm tomorrow.

There is already some localized flooding in the area and large pools of water on some roads.

The Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority says it does not expect widespread flooding.

It’s urging people to stay off ice and to stay away from fast flowing water.

Bus Cancellations

There were bus cancellations this morning in the region covered by Tri-Board Student Transportation because of icy roads in rural areas.

The cancellations included all buses to the North Addington Educations Centre in Cloyne, Land O’ Lakes Public School and the Granite Ridge Education Centre.

Prisons – Needles

The Federal prison ombudsman wants the Correctional Service to bring back its safe tattooing program.  Ivan Zinger’s annual report says tattooing in prison often involves sharing and reusing dirty equipment linked to higher rates of hepatitis C and HIV among inmates.

A Correctional Service memo obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act advises Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale that setting up tattoo parlours and needle-exchange programs in penitentiaries warrants consideration.  The Conservative government ended a pilot program at six federal penitentiaries in 2007.

Ontario Legislature

Kingston and the Islands MPP Sophie Kiwala will be back at Queen’s Park today as the Ontario legislature resumes its last session before the June election.   Patrick Brown will have to sit as an independent if he shows up for the session today.  Brown was ejected from the Progressive Conservative caucus last week.  He stepped down as PC leader in January amid sexual misconduct allegations, but said on Friday he would jump back into the leadership race.

50/50 Draw – Frontenacs

The Kingston Frontenacs says there is no way they can influence the outcome of the 50/50 draw after receiving complaints about a mix-up in announcing the winner on Family Day.  The name of the winner of an autographed stick was announced as the winner of the 50/50 draw.  Director of Business Operations Justin Chenier says they tried to correct the mistake as quickly as possible on the arena’s PA system.

The winner of the $3,942 prize was Phil Gauthier.

Chenier says the winner is chosen electronically through a system licensed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission and there is no way they can impact the winning numbers.

Bikes Stolen

Members of a Nova Scotia group that promotes outdoor activity say their bikes were stolen in Kingston just days after they finished a charity ride around Lake Ontario.  Four members of the group “A for Adventure” had biked more than 850 kilometres over 14 days and raised about 27 thousand dollars for a charity that sends kids to summer camp.  They stopped in Kingston last week and when they got up on Thursday their two bikes had been stolen from the back of their vehicles.  They are worth about 25-hundred dollars each.

The group filed a police report in Kingston but had to continue home to the Maritimes without their bikes.

Airport Study

Kingston City Council is expected to approve a 90 thousand dollar market study for the Kingston Airport.

City staff has recommended council approve hiring InterVISTAS Consulting to do the study and develop a business case for the airport.  Council will have to approve hiring the company when it meets tonight.

A report to council says it’s estimated about 10% of air travelers from the Kingston area had flights originating in Kingston.  The other 90% drove to nearby airports in Toronto, Montreal, Syracuse, and other cities.  The report says the information is three years old and needs to be updated.


Filed under: 50/50 Draw, Airport Study, Bikes Stolen, Bus Cancellations, Canadian Press, Kingston Frontenacs, Lake Ontario, Localized Flooding, Needles, Nova Scotia Group, Ontario Legislature, Patrick Brown, Prisons, Rain, Safe Tattooing