Have you ever seen the Spike TV show 1000 Ways to Die?



Well, this next story sounds like something that would happen on an episode of that show.

A 32 year old man named Wiley Day did something that many of us do, (including myself): he fell asleep with his cell phone charging next to him in bed.

The very next morning, he woke up and the metal chain he had around his neck touched the phone charger which caused the chain to be shoot electricity straight to his neck!

Day told The Washington Post that the feeling he had was “the eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience. I don’t have enough adjectives to describe it.”

He continued, “Your body is numb at that point. I guess people would think it would be burning, but in my case I felt a whole lot of pressure around my neck.”


Wiley Day / Facebook
Wiley Day / Facebook



Thankfully for Day he wasn’t alone at home at the time and yelled for his niece to come help him take the necklace off, “She said I kept yelling ‘Jesus!’ “. When I came to and figured out what happened, I literally stood straight up, and I said, ‘Oh my God, I think I just got electrocuted.’ “

By the time she took the necklace off his neck, there was smoke coming out the extension cord, “Had I not pulled that necklace off when I did … I just believe that God spared my life, and that’s what happened.”

He immediately went to the doctors who diagnosed him with second and third degree burns to his hands and to his neck; he was very lucky.


Wiley Day / Facebook
Wiley Day / Facebook



A physician named Benjamin Fail told WAAY News that by his estimation, Day had been hit with 110 volts of electricity (100 can kill a person), “He is lucky to be alive. Electrocution kills.”

What’s Day’s message to people use extension cords to charge their phones while they are in bed?

He said, “I found out most people were using extension cords because they were still on their devices in bed…I mean, it’s sad but true.”

He concluded, “From my experience to others, it is not worth your life charging your electronics in bed. I mean, it’s not worth it…I wouldn’t wish what happened to me on my worst enemy.”


FULL STORY from The Washington Post HERE.

Filed under: iphone, the-washington-post-wiley-day